- Social Security number. Keep your Social Security card someplace safe, not in your wallet or vehicle. Don't write your SSN on checks.
- Bank and credit card numbers. Only carry essential documents and cards. For example, only carry one credit card in your wallet, and leave the rest at home.
- Personal identification documents. Don't carry your birth certificate, passport, or other identifying documents. Keep them locked away in a safe place.
- PINs. Avoid writing down PINs for your debit or credit cards and storing them in your wallet or purse. Avoid storing PINs for online banking, Internet payment services, online shopping, and other sites where someone could easily find them. If you must keep a list of PINs, store it in a safe, lockbox, or other secure location.
- Health insurance membership numbers. Keep your insurance card or Medicare card at home unless you are going to a medical provider. If you want to carry proof of insurance with you, copy your card and black out all but the last few digits before you store the copy in your wallet or purse.
Be aware if someone is standing behind you while you use an ATM or punch your password into a keypad at a store counter. Shield the machine with your free hand or your body.
Don't give out account numbers, your Social Security number, or other personal information over the telephone, through the mail, or via the Internet unless you initiated the contact. If you have doubts about someone who has contacted you asking for personal information, call the customer service number listed on your account statement or card to inquire whether a request for information was made.
First Commonwealth Bank and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for tax, legal or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before engaging in any transaction.
Investment and insurance products and services are offered through INFINEX INVESTMENTS, INC. Member FINRA/SIPC.
Infinex and First Commonwealth Bank are not affiliated. Products and services made available through Infinex are not insured by the FDIC or any other agency of the United States and are not deposits or obligations of nor guaranteed or insured by any bank or bank affiliate. These products are subject to investment risk, including the possible loss of value.
*We do not provide tax advice. Consult your tax advisor.
*Diversification is a method of controlling risk. It does not assure a profit or the avoidance of loss.
**Dollar-cost averaging is a method of controlling risk. It does not assure a profit or the avoidance of loss. Investors should consider their ability to continue a dollar-cost averaging program in periods of declining markets.